Saturday, June 18, 2005

Mushroomly Infectious

Here is the famous article that I spoke about in my previous rant. I agree, the words are strong, but that's my style. If you think the article is over-the-board, leave a comment.

This was supposed to be an interview. Obviously, I forgot everything, didn’t take any note or recorded anything. That’s where we’re at now, no interview will be produced whatsoever. Anyways, the truth is that listening is boring; dreaming is much better. Anything to escape reality, really. Like a blood sucking spider I pretended to listen but actually tried to absorb as much of that band aura so that I can somewhat live the experience myself.

Me a rock star… Sweet. I will really be obnoxious, that’s for sure. My head will be so big, I won’t fit in my own private stretched Hummer limo. Anyone who meets me will hate me, and anyone who doesn’t will be in love with me, with that me that I’ll project on stage and on paper.

Or maybe I’ll stay true to myself and just hate everyone for liking me and my music.

One thing is for sure, I’ll start off all innocent and happy, and finish bitter and in pieces. At first there will be the thrill of fame, of people enjoying my work and of recognition. Money will be more than welcome, and I’ll finally pay off that permanent Visa bill. I will talk to people, share my enthusiasm and feed-off from theirs. I’ll take every chance I get to visit a new city, tour till I drop dead and be freaked out before every single show.

And then something will die inside of me. Die is a bit of a strong word, change would be better, but hell, I am a rock star no, it’s either everything or nothing, there are no in-betweens. Slowly it will all start becoming a routine; I’ll convince myself that people are the same everywhere and I will stop talking to them. My enthusiasm will slowly fade away; I’ll need a mask to hide behind.

It will simply be a cross road: I can either decide to become a professional musician, be happy with what I have achieved and keep entertaining people, just do it cause I can, like the Stones or U2. Or I can decide to burn out, get frustrated, lose myself in drugs and alcohol, not give a fuck anymore and just be bitter till the bitter end.

Me a rock star… I’ll definitely take the second path, just cause it’s the REAL thing to do. One day, flocks of brainless fans will put flowers on my grave in Paris, thinking that I overdosed just because I was such an un-understood and lonely artist. In reality I was simply pissed off because I couldn’t assume reality and live without that original and so fake dream.

Here we have it, in the span of a short interview, my whole life of rock star flashed before my eyes. But the guys from Infected Mushroom aren’t like me. They’re actually doing it and they’re still there. They seem to enjoy it; their definitely not taking the path of the dark side as I would have done.

Here ends the first part. Tonight I am going to the show, and the second instalment will hopefully at least be a bit about the music and not about me.

Here starts the second part. Three long and hot days after the show, little sleep in my body (really, who can sleep in this bliss of a furnace Montreal has become), I have finally eaten enough to get some meaningful thoughts together.

Easy: the show was infectious; very infectious and no mushrooms of any kind were needed. Really, the name of the band is just a misleading publicity stunt. Clearheaded at 4 AM, it took me less than 15 minutes to get absorbed in the thick digital atmosphere engulfing the club. These three guys somehow made me dive head first into it. Three, because of the newly added guitar player, and I have to admit, the best pieces were the ones that he has on too.

It’s hard to capture or describe the show, and I won’t even try. The big sound, blasting behind and above our heads was definitely a must; it’s probably next to impossible to feel what Infected Mushrooms are all about on a small stereo. The crowd had little effect on me, all the energy was coming from the speakers. Tired, I still wanted more tracks when 6 AM came along and the mushrooms left. A big breakfast followed by a short nap in the park under the sun and I was ready to face another sweaty day.

Enjoy the bootlegs our bootlegger made. I have no idea of song’s names, we failed to capture my favourite part of the show and digi cams obviously have shitty mikes. Still, it might just get your mouth wet enough to make you see Infected Mushrooms live when you have the chance.

Till then, ta-da…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?