Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I am growing increasingly tired from this Harper dude. At first he seemed harmless, with his fragile minority and little experienced government; I thought he would lay low and quiet and try to gain support in order to eventually win a real majority government. Showing the Liberals that they needed to behave like good boys also seemed (and still is) a good idea. And lets not mention that Martin dude, who was very VERY un-sympathetic to me; we are much better off without him.

Then came the surprise trip to Afghanistan, and that kind of made me itch on the top-left side of my upper buttocks. Just a little itch, not enough to make me uncomfortable, but still, it wasn’t there before. It just looked a bit too similar to a Bush styled stunt; remember, he also made a surprise visit to his troops in Iraq over Thanksgiving, cutting turkey for them, or something warm and homey like that.

It's just a cheap publicity stunt. Look at me, I am brave. Take pictures of me, I am an international leader. Interview me, Canada is an international power with real soldiers in a real war. Quote me, I had to come secretly because I am so important and I was scared to get attacked.

I was told that Harper went to Afghanistan to lift-up the troop's spirit, which apparently is low.

Well, no surprise it is low. They are in a war, far away from home, a war about something that didn't result in a single shell or explosion in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of understand the war in Afghanistan: it is a failed state, someone has to put some order in there. I just don't understand why it has to be us, and not them, the real, big U.S.

But what has me really fuming is that, I believe Harper doesn't give two cents about the morale of the troops, he did not go to Afghanistan to support them. He did it for the publicity and he did it for his ego, in order to feel like the big man, the man not in the opposition anymore.

Today, I got an even bigger rash, reading this article about Canada's possible back out of Kyoto. Now the Conservatives are starting to push it. Didn't they see the summer we had, with the most hurricanes ever in the Caribbean’s. What about the Danube river, flooding my beloved Balkans. What about everything else, all the floods, cooling, heating. There is definitely something wrong with our planet and we can see it with our own eyes now.

Yet, the Conservatives are concerned because developing states like China and India are not bind by Kyoto. True, that's a huge problem, considering that soon they will be doing the most polluting. But we have to start somewhere, we have to lead, show by example. Canada is small and rich, we can afford this hit, we can start and hope that others will eventually follow. Saying that we wont play because there are no other players will definitely not get a game started. Before professional football, if the Red Man didn't form a football team, there would have not been a first game ever.

"The United States, Australia, Japan, China, India and South Korea, all part of the Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate, believe targets should be voluntary and looks at developing technologies that reduce emissions." This is a joke. Yes, let’s meet these voluntary targets, go go, lets do it all together.

With record federal surpluses, a booming dollar and a strong economy, we can take that hit. And the experience built while taking the hit will be extremely valuable. Yet the Conservatives are canceling research projects relating to Kyoto.

I don't like this. I don't like this at all. The Conservatives are getting too comfortable, and I am starting to itch again with the urge to give them a little spanking, a little punishment.

We are not U.S. We can be ourselves and comfortable with it. We don't need to be the big guys, we can be David.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?