Monday, June 22, 2009

Guerrilla tree planting

(Monday the 22 of June)
Today I planted the two trees I had bought for my building. The planting was done on land owned by CN, on the other side of the fence in the back of our building and I have a clear view of both trees from my bedroom.

Planting the trees wasn't that easy, it took me about two hours; I started at around 8PM and it was pitch dark when I finished. The biggest hurdle was that I needed to get all the material (both trees, four bags of earth and the tools) on the other side of the fence. The bags and the tools I could throw over, but the trees I needed to somehow transport correctly. There is no door or any other opening, so I had to climb two parts of the fence in order to get them over over to the other side.

I got cuts on my hands, I got dirty, I removed tons of weeds that had grown to gargantuan sizes, I made both holes, I had to remove the trees from their pots (which was way harder to do than it sounds) and I had to water them. The watering was an adventure on its own, as I had to throw the water from our side of the fence and make it land in the holes dug on the other side.

We have a bit over two months of summer weather left, so I hope the trees will have enough time to make big roots. I am afraid I left them in the pots for too long behind the building, but at least I have a good excuse: I couldn't do all this gymnastic earlier because of the unkillable warts on my right foot.

I will take a few pictures of the trees and add them to this post, and I will try to follow their growth over the years.

I also decided that from now on I will plant illegally two trees every year. It's so rewarding to touch earth with your hands and to plant a tree, a living being that contributes to preserving our environment in an acceptable state. And there is a certain level of excitement in doing something forbidden yet good: this is why I will call my yearly planting (which I will hopefully do) guerrilla planting.

And this guerrilla planting was done after my hockey cosom team came back from a 3 - 0 score (all scored in the first 2 minutes of the game) to winning the game 5-4 with less than 30 seconds left in the game.

Just one of my crazy nights.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?